Do you know an average office employee sits around 10 hours a day?
Most of the hours are spent while working on the laptop, answering emails, making calls, writing proposals, and eating lunch. The same is true for home office setups.
If you are spending hours on the phone chairs, you can’t make the mistake of buying any random chair from the market. Right?
Herein, we are sharing a few factors to look for when buying an office chair:
1. Offers lumbar support
Sitting for prolonged hours can result in back pain and can cause problems in your spine and hip joints.
Look for an office chair that offers lumbar support to minimize strain or pressure on the lumbar discs of your spine.
A chair with cushioned back support can benefit you in a number of ways like:
- Great posture
- Helps with back pain
- Reduces neck pain
- Relieves hip pressure
- Better blood circulation
- Boosts productivity
2. Adjustable height
You should be able to adjust the height of your office chair as per your convenience.
The office chair with an adjustment lever allows the user to bring the seat higher or lower for long-term support.
For maximum comfort, sit in a position so that your thighs are horizontal to the floor.
Whether you want to access the CPU or server behind the desk or want to talk to your colleague sitting a few seats away, pick an office chair with wheels.
This allows users to move freely, without stretching their arms frequently to access remote corners of the room.
Some other benefits of wheeled office chairs are:
- Brings versatility
- Offer comfort during extended hours of sitting at the desk
- Balance the body weight
- Helps in avoiding fatigue and the strain on the back
4. Breathable upholstery
The fabric of your office seat should be skin-friendly and breathable, especially in summers.
Some of the common materials for office chair seats are:
- Vinyl: Most common material used for making office seats. Easy to clean and lasts longer.
- Leather: Best upholstery fabric for office seats, offering enough padding to sit for hours.
- Mesh fabric: Smoother and softer as compared to other fabrics.
5. Armrest option
Often overlooked, the position of your shoulders and arms on your office chair can help you decide whether a chair is suitable for you or not.
A chair that doesn’t have an armrest is inconvenient if you have to sit for a long time.
Armrest offers a host of benefits like:
- Maintain spine posture
- Relaxed shoulders
- Provides rest to your hand and arms
- Offers support while getting up
Office chairs come in a huge variety. Some are small while others are big.
No matter the size, it should be light in weight, easy to lift, and portable.
Also, make sure your office chair should be strong enough to hold your weight.
The regular office chair can hold about 250 pounds. While big and tall chairs can sustain between 300 to 800 pounds.
7. Frame Material
A good frame material defines the quality of the office chair.
Office chairs are available in different materials like:
- Plastic: Durable, easy to clean, and can be stacked up.
- Wood: The most common material to make chairs. Available in different styles, and provide good back support.
- Faux leather: Available in different colors, patterns, and levels of softness. Less expensive and are easier to clean.
- Fabric: A most popular choice for office chairs. Comfortable, easy to maintain, and come in a wide variety of colors.
In the end…
Buying the right office chairs contribute to your overall productivity and can help you stay focused throughout the day.